DT2412 new graphics card

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
marek
marek's picture
DT2412 new graphics card

Tried and failed to install a new graphics card into the machine. Contacted the advent "experts" who could only suggest running bios in legacy mode , contacted Knowhow at PC World who didn't. Has anybody managed to install a new card in one of these machines? The card installs first time on my sons asus motherboard running windows 8. didn't need to change the bios or run in legacy mode.

moderator's picture

Marek,
Thanks for posting here. The issue you're experiencing is unfortunately linked to all PCs that come with Windows 8 pre-loaded thanks to Microsoft's insistence that "Secure Boot" is enabled in the BIOS along with disabling the CSM feature. Fixing the problem will involve tweaking the BIOS itself, but shouldn't go as far as reverting the whole BIOS to legacy mode.

This is the procedure tested by our software engineers - it should work with most if not all graphics cards, so please let me know how you get on:

Using original UEFI-enabled graphics card boot into BIOS (DEL after switching on).

In the BIOS carry out the following step-by-step instructions:

• Click Settings on the left.
• Highlight Advanced and press Enter.
• Highlight Win 8 Configuration and press Enter.
• Highlight Windows 8 Logo Requirement and press Enter.
• Highlight Disable and press Enter.
• Press Esc twice to return to the main menu options.
• Highlight Boot and press Enter.
• Highlight Full Screen Logo Display and press Enter.
• Highlight Disabled and press Enter.
• Highlight Boot mode select and press Enter.
• Highlight UEFI and press Enter.
• Press F10 and Enter to save the settings.

The machine will restart automatically, let it boot into Windows to make sure the settings you have changed still allow Windows to boot successfully.

• Shut Windows 8 down (Windows + C, Settings, Power, Shutdown).
• Unplug the power from the computer.
• Remove the original graphics card and install the new graphics card.
• Plug the power back into the computer.
• Switch the computer back on and boot the computer back into Windows.

marek
marek's picture

That worked perfectly. The Palit Gtx660 is now installed and working beautifully. Many Thanks

moderator's picture

That's excellent news. Thanks for letting me know, and for sharing the graphics card model too.

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Moderator, a sincere thank you for this. I have been trying to find out how to upgrade the graphics card in this desktop for some months.

Could you possibly provide detail of the graphics cards that Advent have found that will work using the instructions you have provided above.

Regards

Jon

moderator's picture

I understand they're testing cards as I type, but my uneducated guess is that this fix should enable most - if not all - cards to work with the PC. You're basically removing the settings that require said cards to be flashed with a UEFI-compliant VBIOS in order to work. With that requirement removed, it should hopefully allow just about any card to be used. But without testing each and every card out there, unfortunately I couldn't make guarantees about specific cards.

By the time the FAQ is finally published - not for a good few weeks yet, unfortunately - we should have a list of cards that we've tested with the DT2412. These will almost certainly be from the current range available at Currys/PC World.

In the meantime, if you've already bought a card, then it's definitely worth trying the fix; if you haven't, then it might be worth trying to source one locally so you can easily return it should the fix not work for that particular card. But as I say, my uneducated guess is that most cards should now work with the BIOS tweak implemented.

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Still really keen to update the graphics card in this machine.

Can you please advise as to when the list of tested cards will be promulgated or in the interim could you publish details of the cards which have, to date, been found to work using the BIOS tweak.

Regards

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Thank you again. Would it be possible for you to post a thread highlighting where the list of tested cards/FAQ can be found once it is published?

moderator's picture

Sure. And it should be prominently displayed on the front page of the site too when it goes live - under the Support section. We'll also plug it on Twitter and Facebook as well.

SJEllis
SJEllis's picture

I have Recently purchased an Advent DT2412, I have added a Blu-ray burner Lito-On IHBS112-115. This also is not detected by Windows 8, I need to check the bios to see if its being seen by that but am wondering if the same procedure applied to the graphics card problem would also work in this instance too?

SJ Ellis

moderator's picture

I'm pretty sure the BIOS fix only applies to graphics cards. Check the BIOS to see if the drive has been recognised - if it hasn't, try plugging it into a different SATA port on the motherboard after checking all the connections are secure. If this doesn't work - you may need to try one or two ports - is this replacing the existing DVD writer, or being installed alongside it?

SJEllis
SJEllis's picture

This is a second additional optical drive, a Lite-On Blu-ray Writer. I'll check tonight to see if the drive has been recognised by the BIOS first

SJ Ellis

SJEllis
SJEllis's picture

I've now checked the BIOS and it's clearly shown as being recognised in SATA Port 3 exactly where I plugged it into. Can you assist in solving this issue please.

SJ Ellis

SJEllis
SJEllis's picture

I have also been in contact with Lite-On direct and I've just recieved their reply.
Apparently this Blu-ray writer will only work with WINDOWS 7 AND BELOW. They say there are no driver availible to enable it to work with Windows 8. I got the impression from the tone of their email that there won't be either?

Can you advise and recommend a suitable Blu-ray writer for my system, I believe that you did have one in the last Intel i7 system you did but that of course was running Windows 7?

SJ Ellis

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Still really keen to update the graphics card in this machine.

Can you please advise as to when the list of tested cards will be promulgated or in the interim could you publish details of the cards which have, to date, been found to work using the BIOS tweak.

Regards

moderator's picture

Unfortunately I don't know exactly when that will be, Jon - I will chase them up, but the key players are currently out of the country on other business, including sourcing a fix for the DT2410. But the more I read about the subject, the more I'm convinced it's a case that the vast majority - if not all - cards should work after this general BIOS tweak has been applied, so long as they meet the general hardware requirements, including power requirements in relation to the PSU that's installed in the DT2412.

If you are impatient to get started, then source a card you're interested in and we can investigate its suitability in relation to the DT2412 together before you decide whether or not to dive in and purchase.

MichaelAdvent
MichaelAdvent's picture

Hi

I have just bought a Advent DT2412 and I would like to upgrade its current GT630 Graphics card to one of these card which are found on the PC world website.

The Cards I would like to upgrade to are,

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 7750 PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 G
SAPPHIRE 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition PCI-E Graphics Card
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti SSC PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked PCI-E Graphics Card - 2 GB

I was hoping that you would be able to help me with which of these cards should work with the Advent DT2412 power supply. The power supply inside my DT2412 is CWT 450 (+12v = 21.0A)

Any help here would be much appreciated and thank you for your time.

moderator's picture

Michael,
OK, looking at the NVIDIA website first of all, the 650Ti card is probably your best bet, as it has a PSU requirement of 400W, so well within the limits of the DT2412's existing PSU. The 660's minimum requirements are 450W, so right on the cusp.

And looking at the AMD website, the HD 7770 is a no-no, as it requires a minimum of 500W, whereas the HD 7750 requires a minimum of 400W, so again should be comfortably within the DT2412's capabilities.

Once you've purchased the card, making sure you keep your receipt obviously (just in case!), follow the guide above to configuring the BIOS and then fitting the new card. Please let us know how you get on.

MichaelAdvent
MichaelAdvent's picture

Thank you for your fast reply. I think i will go with the GTX650Ti and will follow your guide above.

Whatever the outcome is I will reply here to let you know how I get on.

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Moderator,

Thank you for your response, similar to MichaelAdvent's post of this morning, the cards I am looking at are all from the current PC World range and the criteria I have been looking at (which unless I'm totally mistaken should work in the DT2412) is a PSU requirement of 450w and the card requiring one 6 Pin power connector.

The cards I'm interested in are:

ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 PCI-E Graphics Card - 2 GB
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked PCI-E Graphics Card - 2 GB
ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition PCI-E Graphics Card - 2 GB
SAPPHIRE 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition PCI-E Graphics Card
EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti SSC PCI-E Graphics Card - 1 GB

I discounted higher end cards stocked by PC World as I don't think the machine could handle them without upgrading the PSU.

If a definitive/comprehensive response is not that many weeks away, I can happily wait (my first attempt to upgrade was back in Jan).

Any guidance you can offer is truly appreciated.

Regards

Jon

moderator's picture

Jon,
Looking at that list, I'd be wary of recommending anything other than the 650Ti for the PSU reasons I just gave Michael. The 660 has a minimum requirement of 450W, so while it might be okay, but it might also be borderline. I see the 7770 has a recommended requirement of 500W, so again while it might work I personally wouldn't feel confident about using it with a 450W PSU.

BTW, I saw on another thread that you'd previously tried to fit an older card in your DT2412 with no success. Have you tried fitting it again using the BIOS tweak we covered above? If you get the time, please do so - it would be interesting to see if it fits my theory that the BIOS tweak should make the vast majority of cards work.

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

Apologies for the duplication. I was obviously typing my list whilst you were responding to Michael.

jonwriley
jonwriley's picture

I've just installed the EVGA GTX 650 TI 1 Gb supplied by PC World and it works perfectly using the 'BIOS tweak'.

The card fits into the DT2412 case really easily, uses the existing six pin connector and comes complete with DVI adaptor.

The difference in quality between this card and the GT 630 is in my opinion amazing. For example average frame rates on Metro 2033 are three times greater and a heavily modded Skyrim's optimized settings are now 'ultra'.

A sincere thank you for your help in resolving this.

moderator's picture

Jon,
That's great news. Thanks for sharing the model of graphics card you got working too, for those who want to go down a tried-and-tested route. But I'm confident the vast majority of cards should now work with the DT2412 with the BIOS tweak applied.

MichaelAdvent
MichaelAdvent's picture

Hi it has been awhile since I posted here.

Today I have just bought the EVGA GTX 650 TI 1 Gb from PC World and followed your instructions above. I want to say a big thank you as it worked 100% for me. Took me around 5 mins at the most to install this new graphics card and the difference is massive.
I was playing games at medium/fair settings with the GT630 and now with the GTX650TI I am able to run the games I play at ultra settings.

Again thank you for the help it was much appreciated. I was wondering if it would be ok to ask another question here which I know is off topic but was hoping that you would be able to answer please.
My question is,

I have an Advent DT2410 which uses the same power supply as the DT2412. I was wondering do you think this fix would work for this system as well ?

Very pleased with the results from you BIOS tweaks and i hope that it will help others like me that wanted to upgrade their windows 8 PCs.

moderator's picture

Michael,
Glad we were able to resolve your problem with the DT2412. Unfortunately the same fix doesn't appear to work with the DT2410 - our engineers are currently investigating this issue.

Ross L
Ross L's picture

Hello moderator,

After browsing many threads about the DT2412 and its issues with upgrading the graphics card I was beginning to get a little worried about the fact that i had ordered a GTX 650 Ti Boost and a new PSU.

I bought a 550w PSU. Through following the instructions above and installing the new PSU and Graphics card, would you say i would be successful. Thanks for all the help.

Again, Thanks.

moderator's picture

I see no reason why that configuration shouldn't work: the 550W PSU should be more than adequate for the task of powering the card as well as the rest of your PC, and so long as you follow the instructions at the FAQ to the letter (see http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/product-support/faq-windows-8-uefi-and-...) you should find the card will work. As you have a DT2412, you only need to worry about tweaking the BIOS as instructed, no BIOS update will be required.

str1d3r
str1d3r's picture

hello ,
i tried the steps mentioned to enter the bios using the delete key but when i press delete a black screen loads and stays blank can some one help me .

M.h